The Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection’s Recycling and Resource Management Division reminds all residents to reduce, reuse and recycle right this holiday season and beyond. Non-recyclable items placed in curbside recycling bins and carts can contaminate recyclable materials, rendering them no longer recyclable, and can also impact sorting operations at Montgomery County’s Recycling Center. While some of these items can be recycled through other recycling opportunities, they should not be placed in your blue recycling bin or blue wheeled cart for curbside recycling collection.
The items most often inappropriately placed in blue recycling bins or mixed paper recycling carts, that should not be put in recycling bins/carts are:
- Plastic bags, plastic film or shrink wrap (can be recycled at many local grocery stores and some retail locations; click here to find a location near you)
- Hazardous or toxic product containers (such as containers for herbicides, pesticides, insecticides and automotive fluids)
- Electronics (including computers, keyboards, TV’s, etc.)
- Styrofoam® or polystyrene (packing peanuts or foam blocks used to protect items in shipments, or other items marked #6 PS)
- Home health care/medical supplies (including needles/syringes, plastic intravenous fluid bags, plastic respirator and medical equipment tubing, CPAP masks, gloves, etc.)
Also, please remember to empty and rinse all bottles, jars, cans and containers before placing these items in your blue bin. Caps and lids should be left off the bottles, jars and containers before placing them in the blue bin as well.
With the increase of online shopping this year, please remember to recycle the cardboard boxes. Remove all contents and flatten the boxes before placing them into your mixed paper recycling cart. If you don't have a mixed paper recycling cart, tie the flattened boxes together with twine, or place the flattened cardboard into a paper bag or in a small cardboard box and place next to your blue bin.
For materials that are not acceptable through the county’s curbside recycling program, there may be other opportunities to recycle those materials. To learn how to properly recycle or properly dispose of these materials, visit www.montgomerycountymd.gov/sws/programs and click “I want to recycle or dispose of…”.
For more information, 311 or 240-777-0311; TTY Maryland Relay 711.